POSITION TITLE: Groundskeeper/Flex Crew
DEPARTMENT: Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation
(PECF/Foundation – Foundation Shared Services
POSITION TYPE: Full-time/Non-exempt, 12 months
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director, Horticulture and Grounds
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Horticulture and Grounds
LAST UPDATED: January 3, 2022
Carries out all grounds maintenance including trash pick-up, deliveries, mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, mulching, fertilizing, weeding, planting, watering, leaf removal, and snow removal. Acts as general laborer to assist with other projects such as turf and landscape renovations, irrigation projects, office moves, and special work orders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follows the direction of the Assistant Director of Horticulture and Grounds in mowing, edging, athletic field maintenance, snow removal, moves, deliveries, special projects and other assigned tasks.
- Daily trash pick-up/removal as required.
- Performs deliveries including loading, unloading, moving and set-up of furniture, equipment and boxes as needed.
- Plants, mulches, and prunes shrubs, trees and plant material using proper horticultural techniques under direct supervision.
- Weeds turf areas and mulch beds, and may assist with fertilizing under direct supervision.
- Understands and follows proper turf practices and an Integrated Pest Management Program.
- Recognizes and reports water demands of plant material in assigned areas.
- Operates all equipment and tools safely and properly. Returns cleaned tools and equipment to proper place.
- Follows proper techniques of soil preparation, plant installation, and pesticide application under direct supervision.
- Keeps hardscapes blown, edged, and cleaned after mowing and when directed additionally. Assist gardeners in cleaning drains and catch basins before and after storms.
- Shovels snow, spreads salt and sand, and operates snow removal equipment safely.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor(s).
- Arrives to work on time. Keeps absences within department guidelines and schedules time off in advance.
- Pursues training and development activities and strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Follows policies and procedures and completes tasks correctly and on time.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, displays commitment to excellence, looks for ways to improve and promote quality and applies feedback to improve performance.
- Works efficiently while achieving established goals.
- Observes safety and security procedures, uses equipment and materials properly and reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge, including safety procedures, exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills, requires minimal supervision and displays understanding of how job relates to others.
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension skills. Keeps others adequately informed.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with co-workers and supervisor(s), exhibits tact and consideration, displays positive outlook and pleasant manner, offers assistance and support to co-workers, works cooperatively in group situations and works actively to resolve conflict.
- Takes responsibility for own actions, follows instructions, commits to doing the best job possible and responds to requests for service and assistance (from supervisors and co-workers).
- Takes initiative: volunteers readily, seeks increased responsibilities and asks for help when needed.
- Works as part of a team by balancing team and individual responsibilities, exhibiting objectivity and openness to others’ views, giving and welcoming feedback, contributing to building a positive team spirit, and putting the success of the team above own interests.
- Dresses appropriately for position and keeps self well-groomed.
Minimum Qualifications (education, certification, years experience):
- Degree or certification in turf or landscape management is a plus.
- One-year experience in landscaping and grounds maintenance preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and good driving record, and be capable of operating pickup trucks and tractors safely.
- PECF requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, absent eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (ex: best practices, teambuilding, detail oriented):
- Ability to understand basic concepts of turf maintenance, planting, and horticulture techniques.
- Ability to take proper safety precautions in all situations.
- Ability to work as part of a team or individually with little or no supervision.
- Good interpersonal, communication and literacy skills.
- Ability to work well within a diverse and multicultural workforce.
- Ability to operate many types of grounds maintenance equipment safely, such as mowers, sprayers, blowers, trimmers, aerators, tillers, hand tools and snow equipment.
Working Conditions (Schedule, Physical Demands, Work Environment):
- Normal schedule is Monday – Friday 6:30am – 3:00pm. Must have flexible schedule, however. Hours may alter as required by circumstances such as extreme weather conditions, special projects, annual events, and storm response /snow removal. Must be able to work required overtime, often with little advance notice (snow removal, storm damage). Scheduled overtime includes annual events.
- Must be able to work outside in inclement weather—extreme cold and heat, high winds, rain, and snow.
Must be able to perform physical work including bending, stooping and reaching. Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time and to lift, carry and push at least 50 lbs.