Job Code: EA-10
Serve as the horticulturist/gardener providing skilled gardening assistance to the zone gardeners on the Cathedral Close. This horticulturist rotates throughout the various garden zones as needed, helping to maintain and care for ornamental beds, trees, and shrubs, as well as the overall appearance of zones.
Among the duties assigned to this position are the following:
- Consults with Horticulture Director to determine the most pressing gardening needs on the Close each week, then concentrates on assisting the zone gardener to meet the identified needs.
- Maintains ornamental beds by mulching, weeding, raking, and pruning plants.
- Recognizes and reports pests and diseases.
- Recognizes and reports problems such as wilting, leaf scorch, or nutrient deficiencies.
- Recognizes and responds to water demands of plant material.
- Operates all equipment and tools safely and properly.
- Follows proper techniques of soil preparation, plant installation, and pesticide application.
- Keeps hardscapes in area blown, edged, and cleaned. Keeps drains and catch basins clear.
- Empties trash cans in assigned area on a regular basis & picks up litter.
- Shovels snow, spreads sand and salt, and safely operates snow removal equipment.
- Identifies planting areas that could be improved and shares ideas with the zone gardener and Director of Horticulture.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- One year experience in public gardening including landscape and grounds maintenance and/or degree in horticulture or related field preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and good driving record and be capable of operating pickup trucks and tractors safely.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of plant materials, proper maintenance techniques, and horticultural practices.
- Understanding of Integrated Pest Management techniques.
- Ability to plan a project & follow through to completion, including cleanup.
- Ability to work amicably within a diverse and multicultural workforce.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to self-direct and work alone with little to no supervision.
- Ability to operate all types of grounds maintenance equipment such as mowers, power sweepers, sprayers, blowers, trimmers, aerators, and tillers, safely.
- Good interpersonal, communication, and literacy skills
- Basic computer skills required
- Normal schedule is Monday -- Friday, 6:30 am – 3:00 pm. Must have flexible schedule to accommodate weather and special projects.
- Must be able to work required overtime, often with little notice (snow removal, storm damage). Scheduled overtime includes annual events.
- Must be able to work outside in inclement weather including extreme cold and heat, high winds, rain, and snow.
- Must be able to perform physical work including bending, stooping and reaching. Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time and to lift, carry, and push at least 30 lbs.