Position Title: Senior Payroll Specialist
Department: Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation (PECF/Foundation) - Foundation Shared Services
Position Type: Full-time, 12 months
Reports to: PECF Controller
Works closely with: PECF Foundation Services Human Resource Office
PECF Institution Payroll/Human Resource staff: Washington National Cathedral, National Cathedral School, St. Albans School and Beauvoir
Manages and coordinates all aspects of the Foundation’s payroll function, which services all regular, temporary, and seasonal staff and faculty, both exempt and non-exempt for an average of 500+ employees on a monthly basis. Executes implementation and administration of mandated payroll regulations and policies. Ensures compliance with state and federal laws and regulations and Foundation’s policies. Serves as payroll software system expert and advocates for best-practice payroll processes. Maintains payroll records in a secure manner and prepares required reports. Resolves system or payroll related issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages and coordinates various facets of PECF close-wide payroll activities to ensure timely and accurate processing and reporting of payroll transactions including salaries and wages, garnishments, employee expense reimbursements, taxes, and other deductions in compliance with the provision of tax laws, federal/state regulations, and Foundation policies. In consultation with Institution Human Resource (HR) staff, establish and publish master payroll calendars and processing schedules.
- Coordinates with the Foundation HR and all Institution payroll staff to ensure accurate, consistent and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to payroll rates and taxes.
- Serves as primary contact with payroll related third vendor parties such as Ceridian, Ultipro, and Time force. Executes direct deposit transfers and other transfers through external vendors’ portals such as the defined contribution retirement deduction and clergy retirement contribution deduction. Processes ACH direct deposit adjustments or reversals. Coordinates and collaborates with the Foundation HR staff to manage and troubleshoot UltiPro payroll related issues and keep abreast of software upgrades, information updates and required training.
- Manages and coordinates the improvement, development, implementation, and administration of payroll records systems and procedures to respond to changes in tax laws, regulations, and Foundation policies and/or to enhance operational efficiency. Monitors and assures quality of the data entry of all payroll records in the UltiPro system. Participates in regular user group meetings with Foundation HR and Institution HR staff for knowledge sharing and training/updates; Provides technical expertise to resolve payroll and/or system related issues.
- Facilitates PECF close-wide financial external audit by providing payroll related records and documentation to auditors. Frequently updates PECF payroll retention policy to ensure payroll documentation is secured and properly maintained for financial and tax audit purposes. Assist and advise PECF Controller, PECF Executive Director, Finance and Administration and other Institution business offices with various payroll related analysis for budgeting purposes as well as for other issues concerning changes in payroll laws and regulations. Designs and maintains regular and ad-hoc/special reports to meet Institution needs.
- Plans, coordinates, and oversees the production and distribution of all employee tax statements and notifications as required by law. Compiles and reviews tax reports such as 941, tax amendments and tax edits. Performs payroll related account reconciliations from payroll sub ledgers to the accounting general ledger.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned. Works with PECF Controller on special projects as required.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or other related discipline. Payroll accredited certification is preferred. Minimum 5 years of payroll experience including processing multi-Institution payroll and solid knowledge of all aspects of automated payroll operation. At least 1 – 2 years of experience with automated integrated HR and Payroll system preferred. Experience working with Ultipro and other outsourced payroll service provider is a plus.
Strong attention to detail, accuracy and deadline orientation. Excellent interpersonal communication skills required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and understanding of all facets of payroll principles, methods, systems, and procedures. Knowledge of the payroll aspects of employee benefits policies, procedures, and reporting requirements. Knowledge of relevant payroll, employment, and income tax laws, regulations, and operating guidelines. Knowledge of hiring and termination protocols and procedures. Knowledge of relevant Institution and department policies and procedures.
- Customer service focus and commitment to excellence in work results.
- Collaborative, team oriented approach to work. Ability to provide guidance and support for others on team projects. Ability to collaborate across functional lines in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Meticulous attention to detail; dependability and consistency in work results. Ability to develop and maintain record keeping systems and procedures. Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and resolve complex, multifaceted payroll or related problems. Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments involving sensitive and confidential issues under stressful conditions.
- Strong interpersonal and oral and written communication skills; ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Ability to maintain composure under pressure and help others remain calm.
- Computer proficiency to include MS Office Suite.
- Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally and in written form, exhibits good listening and comprehension, keeps others adequately informed and selects and uses appropriate communication methods. Includes appropriate people in decision making process and makes timely decisions.
- Troubleshoots issues; anticipates changing priorities or situations and responds with effective and appropriate alternative solutions.
- Encourages open communication, confronts difficult situations, maintains objectivity and uses negotiation skills to resolve conflicts.
- Coordinates projects, communicates changes and progress; Works within approved budget and develops and implements cost saving methods. Promotes conservation of organizational resources.
- Exhibits confidence in self and others, inspires respect and trust. Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Adapts to new technologies, uses technology to increase productivity and keeps technical skills up to date.
- The position requires prolonged sitting, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- Requires computer work involving extensive use of keyboard, mouse and monitor. Occasionally requires lifting materials of approximately 20 lbs.