Performs general police duties in connection with the property of the Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation.
Among the duties assigned to this position are the following:
1. Works as a Special Officer for the Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation to provide that:
Personal safety is assured for all persons visiting, attending, or employed within the limits of the Foundation Grounds;
The property belonging to the members of the Foundation and all others within the limits of Foundation Grounds is safe and secure; and that
General police duties are performed in connection with the property of the Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation, as prescribed by the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations, Title 6A, Chapter 11.
These duties include, but are not limited to; security, command post, traffic control, accident response, crowd/person control, escort of valuables and administrative responsibilities.
1. Must be 21 years of age or older.
2. High school diploma or GED.
3. Must have or be able to obtain a commission from the Metropolitan Police Department to serve as a Special Police Officer.
4. Must possess and maintain a valid U.S. driver’s license. Must submit driving record at initial interview. Driving record must be free of any serious conviction or moving violation charges.
5. Must be able to qualify with a .9MM caliber handgun as prescribed by Metropolitan Police Department regulations.
6. Must pass annual Fitness for Duty physical.
7. Emergency First Aid certification.
8. Must test negative on random drug and alcohol tests, and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol tests.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Must be familiar with the DC Municipal Regulations, Title 6A, Chapter 11, as set forth by the Metropolitan Police Department, and adhere to them.
2. Basic knowledge of computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
3. Good interpersonal and communication skills.
4. Must be able to work well within a diverse workforce.
5. Must have ability to deal tactfully, but firmly, with the public, and to enforce traffic laws and established rules and policies for crossing guard operations effectively.
6. Must be able to lift, carry, push, or pull up to 50 lbs. Must be able to remove or carry a person from a dangerous situation.
7. Must be physically and mentally capable of performing law enforcement duties.
8. Must be able to react quickly and calmly in adverse situations.
1. May be assigned to work any shift on any day of the week; work rotating shifts.
2. Frequently work overtime duty whenever instructed by a Supervisor or Management, and report in when called for such overtime or emergencies.
3. Work outdoors for extended periods of time in varied weather, including extreme heat and cold, rain, snow, ice, wind, etc. Spend extended periods standing, walking, climbing stair/hills on a routine basis.
4. Must be willing to adhere to rules and regulations including strict uniform and grooming rules governing this department as well as the codes for Special Police Officers established by the Metropolitan Police Department.