Job Code: DZ-5
Part-time, term limited
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Horticulture Intern
Foundation Corporate Staff
The Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation serves the Washington National Cathedral, along with St. Albans School, National Cathedral School, and Beauvoir, The National Cathedral Elementary School, and is located on a campus of 57 acres of landscaped grounds in the heart of the nation’s Capital. This internship program provides instruction and hands-on gardening experience. Under the direction of the horticulture staff, interns will participate in the installation, maintenance, conservation, and preservation of the Bishop’s Garden and the Cathedral grounds.
Among the duties assigned to this position are the following:
- Under the direction of the horticulture staff, participate in the installation, maintenance, conservation, and preservation of the Bishop’s Garden and the Cathedral grounds.
- Maintain ornamental beds, borders, rose garden, woodland, and vegetable garden by mulching, weeding and clearing area free of litter and leaves. Also properly groom, deadhead, stake, and prune plants.
- Operate all equipment and tools safely and properly. Return cleaned tools and equipment to proper place.
- Follow proper techniques including weeding, staking, pruning, watering, plant identification, and using Integrated Pest Management methods of insect and disease control.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are pursuing a degree in horticulture, landscape maintenance, or a related field.
- Normal work hours are Monday-Friday 7:00-3:30.
- Must be able to work outside in inclement weather—extreme heat and rain.
- Must be able to perform physical work including bending, stooping and reaching. Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time and to lift, carry, and push at least 30 lbs.