JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Groundskeeper/Flex Crew
Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation
Carries out all grounds maintenance including mulching, leaf removal, mowing, trash pick-up, and snow removal. Acts as general laborer to assist with turf and landscape renovations, irrigation projects, office moves, and special work orders.
Among the duties assigned to this position are the following:
- Follows direction from the Assistant Director of Horticulture in mowing, edging, athletic field maintenance, snow removal, moves, deliveries, special projects and other assigned tasks.
- Performs deliveries including loading, unloading, moving and set-up of furniture, equipment and boxes.
- Plants, mulches, and prunes hedges, trees and plant material using proper horticultural techniques.
- Weeds turf areas and mulch beds, and may assist with fertilizing under direct supervision.
- Understands and follows proper turf practices and an Integrated Pest Management Program.
- Collects trash including, pick-up, litter patrol, and road clean-up.
- Recognizes and reports water demands of plant material in assigned areas.
- Operates all equipment and tools safely and properly. Returns cleaned tools and equipment to proper place.
- Follows proper techniques of soil preparation, plant installation, and pesticide application under direct supervision.
- Keeps hardscapes in area blown, edged, and cleaned. Keeps gutters and catch basins cleaned and free of debris.
- Shovels snow, spreads salt and sand, and operates snow removal equipment safely.
- Degree or certification in turf or landscape management is a plus.
- One year experience in landscaping and grounds maintenance preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and good driving record, and be capable of operating pickup trucks and tractors safely.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to understand basic concepts of planting, depth, spacing and horticulture techniques.
- Ability to work as part of a team or individually with little or no supervision.
- Good interpersonal, communication and literacy skills.
- Ability to work well within a diverse and multicultural workforce.
- Ability to operate all types of grounds maintenance equipment safely, such as mowers, power sweepers, sprayers, blowers, trimmers, aerators, and tillers, safely.
- Must be able to work required overtime, often with little advance notice (eg., snow removal, storm damage). Scheduled overtime includes annual events.
- Must be able to work outside in inclement weather—extreme cold and heat, high winds, rain, and snow.
- Must be able to perform physical work including bending, stooping and reaching. Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time and to lift, carry and push at least 50 lbs.