Job code: DZ-2
Primary individual responsible for the following IT utility services: Network administration, servers, software, physical equipment, devices, and end user support to include design, implementation, troubleshooting and support for hardware and software issues. Shares responsibility with IT Director for the IT physical infrastructure, phones, electronic security software and network monitoring. Assists IT Director with project management, administrative tasks and capital projects. Acts as backup for IT Director.
As a member of the Core Tech team, collaborates with and as necessary provides assistance and guidance to all five Close Institutions – Foundation, Washington National Cathedral, National Cathedral School, St. Albans and Beauvoir. Coordinates with Core Tech team and other Close Institution staff on campus-wide IT projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide network physical infrastructure troubleshooting and support. Included in this support: Network HP switches including setup, installation, maintenance, management, VLAN configuration, CAT 5/6 cabling, fiber optic, Watchguard Firewall
- Provide network virtual infrastructure troubleshooting and support. Included in this support: VMWare ESX hosts, EMC Storage, multiple servers, and server services including but not limited to Active Directory, internal and external DNS, DHCP, Certificate management, NTP, Radius
- Provide primary support for end-user local and network problems by responding to telephone and email requests for assistance. Included in this support: desktop, laptop, printer and copier support, upgrades and repairs.
- Provide primary support within guidelines of Cathedral Service-Level-Agreement.
- Develop and maintain end-user support response and tracking system to include response log, track log, and monitor requests to ensure timely resolution. Produce and maintain activity reports.
- Develop and maintain hardware inventory to support life cycle management of network equipment, virtual hardware components, end-user computer and printer inventory.
- Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot ancillary support services including, but not limited to server backup processes, virus protection protocols, server updates and upgrades, firmware updates, database and software maintenance.
- Monitor, maintain, troubleshoot and provide assistance for server based/hosted applications including but not limited to various accounting systems, SQL based systems, security systems
- Assist Director with managing, maintaining, and troubleshooting voice related systems including but not limited to Avaya Aura Communications, SIP protocols, IP telephony, analog service, physical wiring infrastructure.
- Assist Director with managing, maintaining, and troubleshooting Closewide utility services including but not limited to Internet circuits, Domain forest, Active Directory user accounts and group policies, telephone service, Office 365 including email accounts and Sharepoint, E-mail security and protection (Mimecast), firewall policies
- Assist Director to design, test, and implement assigned projects and project tasks including but not limited to network engineering, software system implementation, cyber security monitoring, identified life-cycle replacements, wireless network topology (Aerohive)
- Assist Director to ensure appropriate and adequate network and systems security; adhere to established Foundation and departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, and safety standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Adapt to change in the work environment, accept criticism and feedback and change approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Seek feedback to improve performance, pursue training and development activities and strive to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Follow policies and procedures and complete tasks correctly and on time.
- Prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently, integrate changes smoothly and work in an organized manner.
- Identify problems in a timely manner and develop alternative solutions.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness, display commitment to excellence, look for ways to improve and promote quality, apply feedback to improve performance and monitor own work to ensure quality.
- Express ideas and thoughts verbally and in written form. Exhibit good listening and comprehension skills. Keep others adequately informed. Select and use appropriate communication methods.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with co-workers and supervisor(s), exhibit tact and consideration, display positive outlook and pleasant manner, offer assistance and support to co-workers, work cooperatively in group situations and work actively to resolve conflict.
- Take responsibility for own actions, follow instructions and respond to management direction.
- Take initiative: volunteer readily, seek increased responsibilities and ask for help when needed.
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge, exhibit ability to learn and apply new skills, require minimal supervision and display understanding of how job relates to others.
- Ability to work as part of a team by balancing team and individual responsibilities, exhibiting objectivity and openness to others’ views, giving and welcoming feedback, contributing to building a positive team spirit, and putting the success of the team above own interests.
- Ability to demonstrate required technical skills, adapt to new technologies, troubleshoot technological problems, use technology to increase productivity and keep technical skills up to date.
Minimum Qualifications (education, certification, years experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required.
- A+ and MCP Certifications or equivalent work experience.
- Five to Seven years of experience supporting PCs, Macs and printers in a networked environment; experience performing systems maintenance, trouble shooting and repairs; hardware and software installation and upgrades.
- Experience with the following systems/areas: VMWare6, Mimecast mail security, Office 365, Sharepoint On-line, Avaya Aura 6 (voice system), Microsoft Active Directory, HP Switch Management and Command Line Interface.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (ex: best practices, teambuilding, detail oriented):
- Excellent communication and customer service skills; ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns in a professional and timely manner.
- Knowledge of the operational and procedural aspects of computer systems, hardware, software, and peripheral equipment.
- Knowledge of current technological development/trends.
- Ability to provide technical support over the phone and by email in non-technical terms.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Ability to handle changing workflow; ability to remain productive during down times and prioritize tasks during peak periods.
- Ability to exercise patience and professionalism when working with others.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
Working Conditions (Schedule, Physical Demands, Work Environment):
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Must be able to perform physical work including bending, stooping and reaching.
- Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time and to lift, carry and push at least 30 lbs.